Repair Of Damaged Ceiling At Syamsudin Noor Airport Completed

29 Dec 2019

Back to List

JAKARTA - Due to heavy rains and strong winds in Banjarmasin, Syamsudin Noor International Airport terminal building was slightly damaged with some ceilings of 3x5 meters collapsed on Sunday at 04.00 a.m. local time (29/12).

 To fix the damage, the manager of Syamsudin Noor International Airport directly repaired the damaged ceiling. The repairing was completed on 12.00 a.m.

 "We immediately repairs the ceiling damaged by strong winds that hit the terminal area yesterday. The repair work was carried out by the terminal construction contractor considering the new terminal is still under maintenance. We’d like to say that the incident had no impact on airport operations and services. Angkasa Pura Airports is committed that this incident will not happen again in the future by always trying to follow the procedures of maintenance of airport service facilities in accordance with the K3 principles that have been planned at all Angkasa Pura I airports," said Angkasa Pura Airports vice president corporate secretary Handy Heryudhitiawan.

 The 3x5 meter ceiling collapsed because of heavy rain and strong winds since early morning.

 "Large water discharges are not well distributed so that the concrete decking is full and descended to the ceiling. After we conduct a checking, there is a blockage in the drainage caused by materials that has not been completely removed. This is what causes water to overflow and fall on the terminal ceiling area," Handy said.

After cleaning the remaining cement and dirt, the water can flow properly.

"The repair was successfully completed this Sunday night at 24.00 local time," Handy added.

As a corrective action to ensure that similar incidents do not recur, the contractor make gutter pipe holder and ceiling frame sturdier. State-owned construction companies PT PP and Wika Gedung as the contractor of the new terminal of Syamsudin Noor International Airport have re-inspected the down spot pipe in the gutter and in the concrete decking.

 "We also apologize for the inconvenience to the service users due to this incident and we’ll try to ensure similar incidents do not recur in the future," Handy said.